No matter whether you have ended up with a BSOD (blue screen of death), boot failure, or software failure, it puts your crucial data at risk. Nevertheless, you don’t need to panic in such a situation. There are certain troubleshooting methods by following which you can recover your data. Here, we have mentioned 3 most effective methods that can help you recover data from dead laptop SSD. Besides, we have also discussed how Data Recovery Services can be of a great help in such a situation.
Has it ever happened that you were working on a project for days and suddenly your laptop died? This would have surely panicked you; as it puts your entire laptop data at stake. You would surely be looking for reasons to understand why it happened. Whatever the reason is, your main concern should be how to recover data from dead laptop SSD without damaging any stored data. However, when a laptop dies due to a software failure rather than a hardware failure, its files remain inaccessible but intact on the hard drive. Thus, you need to a suitable way to recover your data without any hassle. This blog points out all the major causes and the effective methods that will help you recover data from dead laptop SSD.
What Is Meant By A Dead Laptop?
Dead means, that nothing displays on the laptop screen when you press the power button. Not a single notification LED is ON, no beep, no BIOS, even the charging light is OFF, and that’s what is referred to as dead laptop. Physical damage or hardware failure can be one of the reasons why your laptop is dead. However,it doesn’t mean the hard drive that has data is also dead. Therefore, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that you can recover data from dead laptop SSD. Before you proceed to recover your data, get aware of the possible reasons that lead to data loss.
What Are The Reasons Behind Laptop Data Loss?
There could be several reasons behind dead laptop. The issue can be with Windows or the operating system. Below, we have mentioned some of the major reasons behind why your laptop is dead, and the measures you can take to prevent such errors.
- Operating System Malfunction: Sometimes, you may fail to start your laptop due to Operating System (OS) malfunction. In addition, you may end up with General Protection Fault (GPF) error when the OS tries to access an incorrect memory address. The OS error isn’t limited to this, it may also result in an infinite loop, which seems to ‘lock-up’ the laptop. In such a situation, the system doesn’t crash instead stops responding to any input, requiring the system to be reset. In other cases, the registry file is changed or the system files are corrupt/deleted.
- Malware Attack:You may end up harming your laptop if you download software applications or media files from an unknown resource. That’s because, it may have a virus that can result in system malfunction. Thus, it’s advised to keep your firewall settings updated. In addition, make sure to install an anti-virus/malware tool on your system.
- Incorrect BIOS Settings: If your laptop fails to boot or is dead, then the Basic Input and Output System (BIOS), which loads the OS, could be corrupted. In such a situation, enter the BIOS, and check if your data is overwritten. If you find such an issue, then, reset BIOS and restart your PC.
What Are The Common Identifying Measures Of A Dying SSD?
SSD failure can risk your crucial data, and thus cannot be avoided. Here, we have listed some of the common warning signs of SSD failure that you must be aware of:
- Existence of bad blocks: Just like bad sectors on the typical HDD, an SSD may develop some bad blocks as well. As a result, it takes it a bit longer to perform simple read or write operations.
- Files can’t be accessed/written: When a bad block is detected, your system declines to read or write some data. And thus, you have to perform data recovery to get the access back.
- File system requires a repair: You may come across such error messages in both Mac as well as Windows operating systems. In mainly occurs, when you lose a port connection or due to the development of bad blocks.
- The SSD becomes read-only: You may even see that the SSD becomes read-only. Thus, it becomes a bit of a task to write any new data.
Ways To Recover Data From Dead Laptop SSD
Follow the below-mentioned troubleshooting methods to regain access to your important documents, files, images, and videos.
Method 1: Use BIOS Utility
There might be instances where your system won’t be entirely dead. It may not boot due to reasons like corrupted or damaged system files, malware infection, software glitches, or DLLs. In such a situation, you can use the BIOS utility available in the system to recover your data. To use this utility, proceed with the below-given steps:
- At first, you have to plug-in a USB drive (created using Windows Media Creation Tool) to the dead system.
- Then, turn on your system and enter the Boot menu by pressing the boot keye.,F12.
- Choose the USB Installation media from the displayed options.
- Doing this will take you to the Automatic Repair setup, that displays the message“Automatic Repair has failed to repair your PC.”
- Now, click on Advanced options>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt.
- It will open the Command Prompt Window; there type exe in the text field, and press the Enter key.
- In the Notepad, go to the File menu>Open>This PC.
- Further, choose files and folders that you want to recover.
Note: Make sure to change the file type to ‘ALL FILES’ from txt to access them.
- At last, right-click the selected file, and select the Send to option followed by external drive.
Important: One needs to know that this method won’t work if you have stored your data in the c: drive. While you install new Windows, it will format the c: drive permanently.
Method 2: Use Hard Drive as an External Drive
Data loss is the foremost concern when your system fails to boot. In such a case, you can use the hard drive of the dead Laptop as an external drive and perform the below steps:
- Firstly, take out the hard drive from the affected laptop, and connect it to another working PC.
Note: To use it as an HDD, you can use a hard drive connector such as SATA to USB convertor or an external Hard Drive Enclosure. Moreover, if your laptop supports PATA/IDE 3.0 interface, you can also connect the hard drive with a compatible cable.
- Now, open Disk Management.
- If the system detects the hard drive but displays it as RAW, then, you need to assign a drive letter to it.
To change the drive letter, you can follow the below-given steps:
- Right-click on the connected drive volume and select ‘Change Drive Letter & Paths….’ Option.
- Click Add, and choose the letter from the drop-down list.
- Lastly, click OK and the drive will be visible in the File Explorer.
Note: If your hard drive is RAW, a prompt will appear on the screen to format the drive when you try accessing it or after you assign a letter to it. Make sure that you DON’T CLICK FORMAT; else, you’ll lose your data permanently.
Method 3: Recover Dead Laptop Hard Drive Data from the Cloud Backup
Nowadays, many people are opting for the cloud backup services to keep their laptop data safe. Data recovery from a dead laptop becomes much easier, if you have made a Cloud backup of your laptop. All you need to do is use another computer and sign in your Cloud account to check and recover what you have backed up. You may also use an external hard drive to download and save the important data. Once you have repaired your dead laptop, you can transfer the recovered data back into it.
Proceed with the below-given steps to regain access to your data:
- At first, connect a fresh/formatted USB drive to a working laptop.
- Then, install and run Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Windows.
- When done, click on the waffle icon, and select Create Recovery Drive option followed by Browse, connected drive and Create Recovery Drive.
- Now, click OK to begin the process.
- It will open an Activation Window;there you have to mention your Activation key.
- Once entered, click Activate> OK and the bootable recovery drive is ready.
Aren’t you able to recover data from dead laptop SSD even now?
Is your SSD not responding or is dead? Or have you ended up physical damaged that resulted in data loss? HOLD ON! DATA RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE.
All you have to do is contact professional services for data recovery. One needs the guidance of professionals with expertise, tools, and hands-on experience in technology to recover data in such complex data loss situations. You may also go for Stellar SSD data recovery services. Here, the professionals use specialized tools, like PC 3000 to recover data from non-detecting SSD. The PC-3000 is a hardware-software system intended to recover data from all NAND-based devices – USB Flash Drives, monoliths, SSDs, etc.
Must Try Tips To Never Lose Your Data Again From Your Laptop:
Here, we have mentioned some of key points that you must always take into consideration to avoid data loss from your laptop:
- Make sure to take a regular data backup on an external hard drive. Alternatively, you may also choose a smart backup like cloud storage.
- Install trusted antivirus software on your laptop to fight against virus attack or malware infection
- If you aren’t well versed, then avoid performing operations like formatting, reformatting, partitioning or repartitioning.
- To avoid further data damage, always look for reliable and experienced data recovery
Whether you have come across BSOD, boot failure or software failure, what’s common in all these situations is data loss. Therefore, we suggest you to always keep backup of your data. Moreover, you don’t need to panic if your laptop dies abruptly. There are several ways, like using the BIOS utility, using the hard drive as an external hard drive or using the cloud backup to recover data from dead laptop SSD. At times, due to certain reasons, these methods may fail to work. In that case, you can try choosing an efficient data recovery software.
However, the most secure way to retrieve data from a dead laptop is to go for a secure data recovery services, such as Stellar SSD Data Recovery Services. What makes Stellar better than others? The difference lies in our expert and highly competent team. With Stellar, you can be sure of Data privacy and Service effectiveness.